Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2008-09-12
10:50:45
 Re: plus4emu FLI converter

OK, I have an idea, and it actually needs a lot of afterwork, but just as a question (Chronos just mentioned something beforehand). Not something brand new or brilliant idea, just for potential new function in converter.
I had the idea to create a slideshow from a comic. Loading time of next picture is critical, so I want as many pictures in the memory as possible. Then load in batches with fastloader.
Thinking about the possibilities I came to a conclusion, that if I want pictures, then they just took too much from the memory (HIRES could be OK due to resolution issues, 10K with full screen, max 8-10 screens, if not full screen ones).
But if I may use the HIRES Botticelli feature to save a full screen into characterset (2K) + charmem (1K)+color (1K)+brightness(1K), then a full screen picture uses up 6K only, saved 4K per HIRES picture (if could be described with 256 different self-defined characters). If only half/third pictures used, then have a higher chance to fit into 256 different characters (full height 200 lines). As there are usually several repeating parts in the comics (eg white part, plack parts) I successfully converted two pictures with really good results.
Unfortunately Botticelli can save only full picture, half not (I mean half picture would be 500byte char + 500byte color+ 500byte brightness + 2K charcset)
So the idea: in the converted there are almost everything to get this as final output: the HIRES converter, the conversion into charset (logo editor?).

OK, let's take it as a personal brainstorming, if you like the idea.
Maybe there are already such converter available (maybe crosstool too?), just I am not aware, and the Logo editors have rather strickt limatations on the nr. of used colors.

What would be needed more (as you know, I am a lazy bastard happy ):
-An algorith, counting, if the current picture fits into the 256 character limit. Warning if not, retry by user after new conversion, or new dithering&gamma adjustment (they has the biggest impact).
-An improvement in the hires converter, which sometimes made hidden dithering, mean that in Botticelli screen it looked as a full white 8x8 field. But it counted as separate character. Then I checked it closer (put the rastermap), and turned out the 8x8 field built up from dithered white background and white foreground pixels. It took some time to repair them. Valid in black also.
- Selection of area would be converted and exported. Yeah, this one would need a UI change, so I am a very brave man pointing this out.
- After conversion the exact lenght (byte) of the exported data to be shown, important when the import of the data happens.

What do you think? I know it would be a huge change, but demomakers would like you sooo much happy)

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024