Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2008-08-23
06:55:55
 Re: So I want to do plus/4 gfx...

Regarding original image:
My first set of pictures were converted before P4Fliconv to a format I supposed could be the closetst ot Plus/4 format.

I use irfanview, as all the "sophisticated" tools I need happy

- Resize to 320x200. Use the Lacnzos method
- In the Effects, select Pixelize, and set it to 2 wide,1 high. then the picture become 1-to-1 to a real multicolor Plussy resolution, just have much more colors...
- Sometimes when I feel the colors are matching to Plus/4, I reduce number of colors to 256, 128 or 64 with Image/Decrease color depth. 256 would have the same result as GIF. But if the picture do not have close spectrum (eg very colorful picture with red, green, blue, purple parts in different areas), then the 256 of GIF you may find too limitied to cover every colorshade. If you import in JPG, these areas handled by P4FLICONV separately, with their own colorpalettes, as I see
- Now comes the P4FLICONV, try to keep the limit value low, otherwise overdithering may happen (which in fact high limit value looks great in FLI and HIRES pictures)

Nowadays I DO NOT resize the pictures to 320x200, or 160x200 befroe conversion. I found that P4FLICONV also makes it with pretty good result, so why I should spend more time on it? happy But in few cases (like anime, or concept art linegraph), it makes sense to make a 320x200 JPG with 160x200 resolution.

About hit ratio:
-When a picture -after all your efforts and time- look crap after conversion, do not spend more time on it. No way you can make it goodin Multibotticelli.
-I collected now thousands of pictures, and at least 300 I tried to convert till now. The hit ratio was very low at the beginning: from 100 picture I selected only 15-20 looked really OK, and only 10 looked so great almost no handpixelling needed.
now i have the eyes to able to see the right colors in the originals, so my hitrate went up to 10 OK from 40-50...
Interestingly some multicolor conversion looked crap (like Jupiter or Titan moon), by accident I selected HIRES, and it was fantastic happy
Although Plussy has a lot of blue colors (4 different), somehow it does not come out.
Greens are nice.
Orange is dissapointing, as it is too flat, not vivid. Yellow is crap. Brown is more a dark orange. Red is a dark pink.
So I suggest to look first green palette pictures. Purple also OK

But it is still my own view, when some releases will come, then it may
by confirmed by others, if my work was nice, or just speakign a lot of bullshit here. happy

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024