Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2008-07-08
15:34:28
 Re: plus4emu FLI converter

FIRST OF ALL: CONGRATULATION for the Converter !!! Fantastic!!!!

Well, I tried out the FLI modes, and I am really impressed. Although I think the simple Multicolor mode is not used till it's limits on PLUS/4, excpet few examples.
I believe the "conversion" is a very good starting point, but finetuning is REALLY needed on most of the cases. The wise preadjustment of the original picture for the converter is more than welcomed to get the best results, I have some tricks I won't share happy)
As I like to hand-draw the converted picture, I conveted to Multicolor, and finetuned with Multibotticelli.
I spend ~30 minutes on JPG-optimization/preadjustment, 1 hour on the best setting during conversion, and almost 10 hours to finetune the picture to it's current state.
Far from the perfect, but I have to stop somewhere, as this picture would be only the first of a 6-7 pieces of collection on ConceptCars. I hope you like it... I will look for a coder in 2-3 months to put these pictures into some demo, juts FYI happy)
By the way, it looks better with video display emulation, the colors are better mathing to the original.

Converted (work in progress):
http://img2.tar.hu/mmszoli/img/35345353.gif#3

Original:
http://kep.tar.hu/mmszoli/50589723/35345781#2

I should highlight, that this is the BEST CONVERTER I have ever seen for Plus/4, and the preview function is great to see the differences of different shading methods, settings. I made some trials in the past with ConGo, Project one and other converters, but witha lame starting result, took months to finish, especially because they did not know the PLUS/4 palette, and I was too lazy to create a modified program for this.

In fact I realized now (on emulator), how BAD is the PLUS/4 palette on the orange, red and yellow colors. They are not vivid at all, the yelow is a light brown, red is almost pink. Orange is not hars at all. I do remember on my first picture (Lotus espirit) I suffered on the Red color too, and it was on a real C16, so i am almost sure the converters and monitor show similar colors now. Yeah, I could be happier with more intensive colors, and if the black would have also 8 shades, and would continue in the white's brighter 8 shades... Then Plus/4 could do great B/W digitized pictures in 16 shades, best in 8 bit...
huh, an other silliness in the design of this great machine...

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024