Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

JamesC
on 2002-04-17
 Found a pic!

I posted a quick page on my website to show the picture:

http://www.stormpages.com/plus4/canada.htm

This page is not linked to by the other pages yet. It's coming up on 1am here and I was in a bit of a hurry.

Note that the box is slightly different than the American box in that this one has a Canadian Maple Leaf on one corner and does not go into as much graphical detail about the built-in software. The box does clearly state that 'Everything you want out of a computer is built in to the Commodore +4 -- word processing -- database management -- spreadsheet -- graphics'.

I believe that the flip-side of the box has the same information in French, but do not have a picture handy to prove it.

As I stated in the previous message, these might be refurbished machines or rebadged 264's. I do not own one of these units to compare against my American unit.

I do know that occasionally I will see a European auction of a Plus/4 with black-cover manuals. These are American manuals, I believe. UK manuals are white with red at the bottom, and German manuals are obviously in German. There are two styles of American manuals: short, almost square in height-width; and tall, about the size of the UK manuals. The tall manuals are from refurbished machines, while the short manuals are from original production. This may help identify whether the chips inside are 7xxx series or 8xxx series (7501/8501 and 7360/8360 respectively). Do you have a black manual to see if it gives Commodore's UK or US/Canadian address on the back cover?

An interesting sidebar is that when the Plus/4 was released, the 1541 manual as well as packaging for the 803 printer carried Plus/4-style printing. An easy tip is the rainbow bars across the top -- if they are vertical bars like on the Plus/4, or horizontal bars like on the 64. The Plus/4 was discontinued when the 128 was introduced, so packaging and manuals here in the States were changed to white with upper-case blue 'COMMODORE' logo, and the page-turn corner showing the Commodore 'C=' logo, as can be seen on a 1570/1571 manual or box.

James C

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024