Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Degauss
on 2008-03-19
20:43:26
 Re: plus4emu FLI converter

hi istvan!

a first suggestion: fli-circus. handling all the different aspects of the image conversion must be comparable to drilling fleas wink

after a long time of just reading the thread i played for quite a while with this tool and i have to say i like it very much. the thing i like most is the preview-option (PAL-preview! how cool is that!), the real-interlace-mode and the support for all relevant formats.

i don't want to bomb you with feature-requests, but i like to make some suggestions for further improvements. there are only few things i would love to see and these are just ideas, so please don't kill me:

1. your "preview" mode already shows the final result. from my experience and due to the highly saturated nature of the +4-palette i always felt the need to see a preview after all the preprocessing-steps (like gamma-correction etc..). in my converter (see below) i solved this with a preview that shows an "idealised" picture, color-reduced and dithered to the +4-palette.

2. different x-shifts per line (i know, i'm quite fixated on this wink )

3. interlaced modes where both fields share the same videomatrix. (this should be quite useful for all cases/demos where you don't have too much ram left)

4. a bit more exotic: special support for monochromatic modes. the display-kernel-routine only refetches the luminance-attributes.

5. even more exotic: an adaptive approach that decides if the display-kernel-routine refetches the color or luminance portion to reduce error.

-------------

my converter:

you can download a WOP-version of my converter here:
http://www.jache.de/download/flinteractive_preview.zip

the application is full of rough and dirty code, tends to crash and has lots of inferior approaches (e.g.: i use RGB instead of YUV all the time). so don't look too close wink

look at the readme-file to see how you can play around with the scrollbars and keys 1-5 to have a quick (pre-)preview. maybe this is something you would like to have in your app aswell. i still think its handy to compare "optimal" versus "possible". that would be even more interesting in your app, since you are able to show a PAL-preview.

regards

degauss

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024