Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

JamesC
on 2002-03-12
 Refresh rates, etc

I will make a .d81 or two tomorrow evening; I need to get the children and myself to bed soon tonight. (It is 9:57pm CST here in mid-USA currently.)

I only adjust frame refresh when necessary because of screen flicker, for example when characters are used for animation.

When playing a game, adjusting the emulation speed may be beneficial, or may be detrimental ... depends on if my hand-to-eye coordination is good at that time.

From a programming standpoint, approximating the speed as closely as possible to the original 1.76 MHz border/.88 MHz screen display is desirable when displaying a screen while loading a file in the background.... the screen may not just be an opening graphic but instructions for use of keyboard, etc. Moving at 500% could possibly prevent the user from being able to read the entire screen, which is why I ask for the capability to determine if running under an emulator. If I know an emulator is being used I can add a "Press Spacebar to Continue" line or adjust my timing loop to compensate for users' not being able to read as quickly as the program is operating.

(Location 249 is flag for presence of 1551. Another idea for emulator is to store info in unused locations like 3048-3071 or 4072-4095, and flag presence in 1341.)

James C in NTSC-land

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024