Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

JamesC
on 2002-03-12
 Clarification of request :)

Atilla,

I think you missed my point about being able to identify whether I'm running under an emulator or not. I (or another author currently or in the future) would be writing programs to be used on a genuine Plus/4 or with an emulator, and may wish to adjust features of the program based on whether the program is on an emulator or on the real machine.

An example would be saving scores of a game. If I'm running on a real Plus/4 I would give option to save to tape or disk. On an emulator I would not give a tape option, but instead to instruct the user to select a .d64 to save to from the emulator functions, then press RETURN when ready to write to the .d64 (or not even attempt to save scores).

The idea is to be flexible with the use of the program, much like a boot program might detect between 16K or 64K system and load the appropriate version for the machine being used.

Commodore has used location 1 in the past but it is set differently for different emulators. I have not tried yours, but WinEmu and Minus4w both show 8, while Plus4 and the real machine show 200.

I noticed last weekend that one of the emulators has a bug. When selecting the machine type, setting to C232 automatically selects 3-Plus-1 ROMs. However, attempting to run 3-Plus-1 when in C232 mode crashes the C232 (not the emulator program). However I do not remember if it was YAPE or WinEmu that did this. I am at work at the moment (3:50pm here) and do not have my personal machines available to verify which emulator for you.

I will email two .d81s tonight. One will be the 1581 demo disk, the other a disk of my own compilation showing subdirectory structure, as the 1581 demo disk does not have a subdirectory on it!

James

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024