Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Gaia
on 2007-09-13
08:23:17
 Re: So I want to do plus/4 gfx...

Some of your results are indeed very close to my hue table and others are somewhat off. Maybe my YUV->RGB conversion formulas are different, because I don't do normalization, I just clamp illegal RGB values as they come (not very nice). I see you have posted yours. I'm gonna compare them with mine. To be honest I did my own RGB->hue calculations but I also relied on external apps that's how I came up with a range of hue values (min,max) instead of one.

At one stage I think it'd be important to gain common ground on the palette issue, let's not have the misery that plagues the C64 emulation world.

I am not sure if you have read the article 'All you wanted to know about the VIC-II colours'. It has a few glitches but that was basically the basis for the Y'UV based palette. The most interesting part is a mail that was written by Bob Yannes, one of the designers of the VIC-II chip. Although the TED was done by a different guy, they might have kept some of the characteristics like choosing hues from opposite sides of the color wheel. Another good reference would be Charles Poynton's article(s) about color conversions (albeit that's mainly about digital video).

(BTW, while checking I have noticed I had a bug, the NTSC hue lookup table was being ignored since a few releases. So even if I had there 350 for the dark blue, the PAL value was showing up....)

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024