Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

TLC
on 2007-08-23
03:57:16
 Re: Different TED's??

Thinking it over again: I probably haven't seen the picture generated by a 7360 in my whole life, so... well, I'm not sure. I'd like to see numbers, and, possibly, pictures (if it's possible).

I know that there are color differences between different series of VIC-20s (but that's not a result of different videochips but different analog circuitry). I also know that the first series of VIC-II chips had different luma levels, but, ...well, when they designed the TED, they already had the 6569 with the final luma level table. The TED is at least a third generation chip in this respect... if different series had different colors, well, that should probably have been a result of different manufacturing technology... whatever...

Luca: yes, these materials are very similar (or simply the same) so you can use them.

Gaia: yep =-). Somehow they get very hot. ...This shouldn't be a problem alone (they don't get fried), the problem is: breakdowns of these chips are generally triggered by stresses of thermal dilatation around flaws in the structure of the silicon. The higher the temperature differences, the higher the dilatation stress (thus, the chances that it will break eventually). It's very interesting, btw... I've got a couple of 1541's and VIC-20s (all with original 6502 cpus) but I've never (ever) seen a faulty 6502. I've seen some broken 6510s and 8500s (C64) but most of them were killed by stresses (faulty power supply and similar things). That's sort of different from the 8501 (which is the most likely faulty part in a dead Plus/4). ...I can't think of any other reasons but heat differences, as the manufacturing technology has been the same to at least the 8500.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024