Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

TLC
on 2007-08-02
09:11:01
 Re: DREAN C16 at eBay

James: I meant, it would probably be interesting to check it closely (from a technical point of view)... In the TED, every functions inside are linked to one another (clock-wisely). PAL-N is, technically, normal PAL with a color subcarrier frequency of (almost) that of NTSC's. Ie. the Dreans are like the European machines from all respects (50Hz frames, 312 lines per frame, PAL color encoding), except for their color clock being 3.58Mhz, not the usual 4.43Mhz of PALs. For that to meet, Commodore certainly had to modify the clock dividing scheme of the 8360. The PAL-N TED must be unique in both that it should be possible to be detected from software (the PAL/NTSC bit in $ff07 must behave differently... a hint for emulator writers... wink)) ), and that its color resolution must be like that of NTSCs... Also, the clock frequency of the computer should be somewhere between the PAL and NTSC versions (but slightly off from both, as NTSC-M and PAL-N don't precisely match each other in frequency). I think none of us really know this piece of the story (I've never heard of anyone, with coding or hw capabilities, to own one, so that he could share details from first hand)... all in all, I'd like to know this piece of the story once. Yes, true, it should be also a great, err, treasure, should someone get hold of one (if you put it that way) as it's rare.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024