Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

JamesC
on 2007-03-28
16:14:19
 Re: Does it worth to work for new projects?

SVS: About me, it it sufficient to name BalSys, a project "nearly" an Operating System pratically passed without any feedback.

There was feedback in 2004, when first introduced. I also note that there has been less and less interest with each subsequent release. In this particular case, Business Assembly Language is obscure enough that most people who know it are well over 50 years old, and not very likely to own a Plus/4 to begin with.

Therefore, I think that the majority of people who have downloaded it are either:
a) people who want a copy of EVERYTHING (personal collections, archive sites)
b) people who are inspecting your work, not necessarily planning to use it
c) people who think it's another assembler, not realizing it's not a 6502 assembler.

If it helps any..... Geos +4 is downloaded from cbm264.com roughly 25 times a month, and I have not had feedback on it for two years. What little feedback I get is "when will you release an NTSC+1541 version?", and that project is stuck on hold until I get more documentation from Maurice (the copyright holder, cbm264.com is just a licensed distribution site).

I have had several software projects over the last few years, with partial to almost complete code sitting here, that I don't complete and release. Some of my projects were released with no feedback whatsoever, and one project was blatantly taken and put on another site. I understand IstvanV's side, but I also understand discovering a lost piece of software and wanting to show it to the world.

We, as a community, cannot survive by keeping collections hidden in boxes. I admit I am as much to blame as many of us; it is harder and harder to sit down in front of the Plussy (or YAPE or MESS or whatever emulator you like) and code something new. The older we become, the more we realize that life is short and ther just is not time to accomplish everything we desire.

I would like to call on everyone out there to take one day out of their busy lives to completely comb through their collections, check your libraries against this site, and note what isn't here. Maybe you have a disk or tape that's missing from here. Maybe your box cover is intact and can be scanned to replace the fuzzy picture that we have now. Maybe you have a hardware oddity that we don't know of (like the prototype motherboard we discussed a couple of days ago).

And if you don't have the hardware to copy/image/scan your unique items, let us know. Between Csabo in Canada, myself in the US, and the multitude of us from the UK to Hungary and beyond..... there is always someone to help.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024