Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

TLC
on 2007-02-20
10:44:24
 Re: New emulator with Plus/4 support is developed

Csabo: I felt difference between the reception ("welcome-ness") of some basic things appearing here in p4w, as compared to their supposed real importance, in relation to the reception of István's work, as compared to its supposed importance. I felt this hmmm... unbalanced at the first place, and second, I also slightly felt a commonly assumed use to become questioned (or possibly get transparent, in other words).

Things usually receive positive feedbacks here; as I understand, because of a solidarity of some sort, some kind of encouraging (which, as I understand, should be a consequence of the idea that if someone does some steps concerning the Plus/4, he should be regarded positively... with which I tend to agree to some extent... even though this breaks the implied relation of feedback and value).

I noticed that the reception of István's work was, IMHO, not especially encouraging. I don't mean the first comments here (back then, it was unpredictable if there's real potential in this project, or is just another piece of fluff), or the questions concerning the origin of the code (clear questions are the simplest...)... But putting these aside, I still don't especially feel a devoted positive mood (not even after the emu admittedly turned out to be something valuable... remember the comment with the fairly well running stuffs from the bin of known problematic products)... which might not be a problem itself, it's just inconsistent with the above rule or phenomenon. I might have as well asked if feedback was really a consequence of the so-called "Plus/4 family" solidarity, or this assumption should be wrong... or this case is simply an exception to the rule... or whatever... but no other implications (I didn't want anyone explicitely to change anything, I just wanted to express what I noticed for anyone's own consideration).

Luca: unfortunately, I haven't tried the Windows port (I rarely boot up DOS or Windows nowadays). I just compiled the source and tested it under Linux. It clearly looks like being in an early stage (it's just less than three months old), it feels rough here and there / clearly needs polishing (and still lacks drive emulation, for example). On the other hand, it's developing, now has an useable GUI, and it already emulates the CPU and the TED quite well. I wouldn't state that it's up to Yape ATM, especially not for Windows users (Yape, besides its wide range of emulated devices, got also well polished during its lifetime), but considering its way so far and its current capabilities, it looks promising.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024